Winemakers Corner August 2020
Well... here we are again folks! We had high hopes for opening the tasting room again by August but thanks to our old friend ‘Rona, we’re just going to have to hold on a little longer! Its been a little quiet in the back of the house this month but we do have a couple new offerings ready for you to try!
What’s new this month?
- Boxcar Blackberry is BACK! – Never fear all of you blackberry lovers who have been suffering from “sold-out-itus” lately! We’ve got a fresh batch on the shelves and in the chillers for you now! Feel free to stock up again!
- Pinot Grigio – This classic white wine is light, refreshing and perfect for the days of August in Texas. Our version boasts aromas of apple and pear while the palate has notes of citrus and melon. Just chill and enjoy by the pool preferably!
- Make Mama Blush – Named in tribute to the Brother’s Mama. This is a white zinfandel variety with a an intentional blush color. In the sunlight, it takes on a rose gold hue. This one is another summer favorite that pairs perfectly will grilled seafood… think shrimp on the grill!
- RailGrinder – This is our limited release coffee infused red. It is made with our Syrah grape variety and dark roast coffee beans. It is a perfect complement to breakfast for dinner! The coffee aromas and flavors really enhance the pepper and earthy notes of the wine. This one is a limited test release meaning we have just slightly less than 60 bottles so it will go fast!
What’s up next? We still have 2 amazing flavor collaborations on the horizon. Both of these are getting very close to the finish line! Release dates are currently TBD based on ow the flavors are devloping but watch our social media accounts for announcements soon!
- Joyphyl Acres – if you were lucky enough to get your hands on one of our test batch bottles last month then you already know how good this Pecan Aged Merlot is! Don’t miss our second release of this amazingly nutty (pun intended) concoction inspired by Donna’s childhood coming within the next 30 days! We expect this upcoming batch to yield about 120 bottles.
- Bendt© Distilling Bourbon Barrel Aged Cabernet Sauvignon– Born out of one Brother’s second love of Bourbon, this bold combination is a work in progress that requires just a little bit of extra time, love and care. Your TBW winemaking team pulled a “sneak peak” taste last week and we were blown away by the flavor profile already! This is going to be one you won’t want to miss! We have one test barrel which we expect to yield approximately 200 bottles and it be ready within the next 30 days.
Again, we hope you find something to love in our latest offerings are sincerely looking forward to the day when we can welcome you back into the tasting room for a glass or two and some good conversation!
Your TBW Winemakers – Eddie, Greg and Stephanie
Is this a marketing gimmick ? Is it good?
And just ...Why?
Well let’s start with “When”.
The first modern day bourbon barrel aged wine was produced by Fetzer Vineyards in 2014 . Winemaker Bob Blue distributed under the label 1000 Stories. However this was not his first go around with using bourbon barrels . Back in 1983 when Bob was starting out using French Oak was the big craze, but when funds are limited he found the next best thing... bourbon barrels.
These days it is not so much about cost of the barrels but more about creating something different. As a new winemaker it is amazing how much science goes into the process making wine. That high school Chemistry class is finally coming in handy. However, the best part of winemaking is being able to come up with different ideas and put your own stamp on the wine you create.
Fun fact: Did you know that Bourbon barrels by law need to be made of 100% new American oak with a heavy toast?
So is it a marketing gimmick? I say no. It‘s a winemaker being creative and possibly bringing bourbon drinkers over to wine.
As the pandemic continues on, it has allowed Two Brothers Winery to be more creative in the fermentation room. We have partnered with Bendt Distillery to bring you a small batch Bourbon barrel Cabernet Sauvignon! We are two weeks from bottling and I have to say it is 🔥🔥🔥. That’s what the youth say these days . For us more sophisticated folks it is absolutely delicious! It picks up vanilla and caramel notes you find in bourbon but does not overpower the black fruits you find in Cab. I have to say, we are very proud of this one.
So if you’re curious about bourbon barrel aged wine, keep an eye out! We will be posting on our social media pages when it’s ready for y’all! You’ll want to purchase a bottle. They will not last long.
Sign up for exclusive Two Brothers Winery discounts, special event invites and latest news.